What is scaffolding?
Scaffolding, also termed as staging, is a non-permanent structure which provides support to the workers and constructional materials. It is generally useful during construction, repairs, or maintenance of buildings or bridges. Scaffolding can be bought or rented. Sometimes the workers themselves construct this temporary structure before starting the work.
Why is it used it the construction industry?
Scaffolding is widely used in construction sites, and here is why:
- Provides safety:
Safety of the workers in a construction site must be the top priority. Scaffolding structure is set up to ensure the safety of people working on the site. A person can maintain his (or her) balance while standing on the rods. Handrails are also placed at the topmost section, to provide grip to the workers, which will prevent mishaps and accidents. It will ensure the safety of workers, pedestrians, and people.
- Acts as elevation
It is difficult to build high-rise buildings or work on the top parts of the building. Scaffolding will provide the much-needed elevation. Workers can easily use this as a ladder and reach the top part of the building. A small platform is provided, on which the worker can stand and finish his task efficiently. It is also useful in transporting materials.
- Provides access
Some parts of the building are not easy to reach like a ceiling or roof. A scaffolding structure will provide easy access to corners and top of the building. It can also support multiple people, unlike ladders, on which only one or two people can stand.
Different types of scaffolding used in construction
- Trestle scaffolding: This is used as a movable platform or ladder. Generally used in spaces of 5m height or less. The trestle is mostly used for repair works or painting the room.
- Steel scaffolding: This scaffolding structure is constructed using steel rods (or steel tubes) and couplers. It is the best scaffolding structure and offers better safety.
- Suspended scaffolding: A platform is suspended from the roof with the help of wires or chains. This type of scaffolding is used for painting walls of a building or repair works.
Other types of scaffolding include cantilever scaffolding, single scaffolding, double scaffolding, and Kwikstage scaffolding.
How to calculate scaffolding?
Proper calculations are required before setting up an entire scaffolding structure. Improper alignments might make the entire structure to collapse. Hence, it is necessary to build a structure with equally distanced rows and columns.
Follow these steps to calculate scaffolding:
- Measure the total area which requires scaffolding.
- Measure the maximum height till which the platform must reach.
- Choose the shape and size of the scaffolding. Generally, rectangular scaffolding are used.
- Measure the height of a single scaffolding section. Divide the total height by the length of one scaffolding section, which will give you the number of columns that must be present in the scaffolding structure.
- Measure the length of one scaffolding. Divined the total length by the length of one scaffolding. You will now get the number of rows that must be present in the scaffolding structure.
- Multiply the number of columns and rows, which will give you the total number of scaffolding sections.
If you want to know the cost of the entire scaffolding, multiply the total number of scaffolding sections and price for a day. To get a rough idea about the total budget, multiply the total cost and a total number of days.
Safety of workers in a construction site is important. scaffolding rental near me provides better safety and elevation. Choose the scaffolding according to your budget and area. Make sure not to compromise on safety.